University Health Plans (UHP) is the administrator of the AIC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
Waive / Enroll &
Online Insurance Card
Waiver and Enrollments for the 2023-2024 year will be available on June 1st.
The 2023-2024 Student Health Insurance Plan will open for Enrollment and Waivers on June 1, 2023.
Update: We are experiencing a technical issue with opening the system. We expect the UHP waivers/enrollments to be available on Monday, June 5th.
AIC works with University Health Plans (UHP) to administer the Student Health Plan as required by the State of Massachusetts.
Based on your program of student and the number of credits you are registered in you will be considered as either Required or Not Required to Participate in the Student Health Insurance Program.
Required to Participate:
Students who are NOT Required To Participate:
Brief Overview of Comparable Coverage for Minimum Benefit Guidelines:
Minimum Health Insurance Plan Comparable Coverage Requirements
1. A network of doctors, specialists, and hospitals within 30 miles of the AIC campus in Springfield, MA (local area) effective from the beginning of the period of enrollment. All coverage requirements listed in items 3 through 12 must be available within the local area.
2. An insurance company whose home office is based in the United States and whose plan is filed and approved in the US, and compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
3. An unlimited plan maximum benefit. This means no maximum benefit per illness or injury per coverage period or per lifetime
4. Immediate Coverage for Pre-existing Conditions; no waiting period for services [In addition to looking at what’s covered, check the list of exclusions and limitations].
5. Emergency Services Coverage – no limits on coverage
6. Maternity Coverage and Coverage for Newborns - no limit on coverage
7. Mental Health/Substance Abuse, no limits outpatient or inpatient – no dollar limits or days of treatment limits
8. Pharmacy Benefits - no maximum dollar amount
9. Preventive Care and Primary Care Services This means coverage for routine physicals, physician visits exams, gynecological exams, coverage for preventive lab tests, preventive immunizations and vaccinations.
10. Surgical services – no maximum dollar amount
11. Hospitalization Benefits – no maximum dollar amount or limit to number of days
12. Ambulatory Patient Services – no maximum dollar amount
If you answered “NO” to any question (1-12) then your plan is not comparable
13. Do you have Massachusetts Health Safety Net, MassHealth Limited, or The Children’s Medical Security Program?
14. Do you have an out-of-state Medicaid Plan other than Connecticut Husky Health*? *Connecticut Husky Health is considered comparable coverage. Please answer "No" to this question on the waiver form if you have Husky Health.
15. Do you have a plan that you purchase on a month-to-month basis?
If you answered “YES” to questions (13 , 14 or 15) then your plan is not comparable
UHP Phone: 1-833-251-1746
UHP Email: email@example.com
Plan Benefit/Policy: www.universityhealthplans.com/aic
AIC Phone: 413-205-3254
AIC Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Period of Enrollment:
8/1/2023 to 7/31/2024
01/01/2024 to 07/31/2024
08/01/2023 to 12/31/2023
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)
University Health Plans
*Enrollment is on an ANNUAL basis.
Online Form to Enroll or Waive Opens On:
June 1, 2023
December 1, 2023
Due Date for Enrollments/Waivers:
August 1, 2023
January 9, 2024
Late Enrollment/ Late Waiver Period:
August 2, 2023 toSept. 25, 2023
January 10, 2024 toFebruary 19, 2024
Automatic Enrollment:All students who are required to participate in the student health insurance plan who have not either enrolled or waived will be automatically enrolled in the AIC student health insurance plan. Students may then submit a petition to request a waiver until the stated deadline.
Sept. 26, 2023
February 20, 2024
Petition to Waive Period:When this period has ended the student health insurance fee is set for the period and is non-refundable.
Sept. 27, 2022 toOctober 18, 2023
February 20, 2024 toMarch 12, 2024
Policy and Benefit Information: You may view the policy and benefit information at University Health Plans.
Qualifying Event: If you have a qualifying event, you may request to be added to the AIC Student Health Insurance Plan mid-year. Please contact University Health Plans for details.
Who is Required to Participate?
Note: Will be Charged the Premium and MUST Waive or Enroll
All Student Athletes
ALL Undergraduate Students registered in 9 or more credits
Exemption: Students who are solely in online courses are NOT required to participate (example: RN to BSN students)
Graduate Students in the following Majors:
Clinical Mental Health: In-Person
Clinical Psychology (MA)
Exercise Science (MS)
General Psychology (MA/CERT)
Forensic Psychology (MS)
Occupational Therapy (MSOT)
Public Health (Master)
Doctoral Students in the Following Majors:
EdD Educational Psychology
EdD Mental Health Counseling: In-Person
EdD Mental Health & Human Development: In-Person
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
Note: International Students (F1 VISA) will automatically be enrolled and may not waive.
Who is NOT Required to Participate?
* Not Charged, Enrollment via Request Only
* If you are a student athlete in one of the programs listed- You
are required to participate
RN to BSN students
Online only students
Undergraduate students who are registered for less than 9 credits as of the end of the add/drop period.
Business Administration (MBA/CERT)
Clinical Mental Health: Online
Counseling Psychology (Trimester)
Cannabis Science & Commerce (MS)
Criminal Justice (MS)
Criminal Justice Certificates
Family Nurse Practitioner (MS-FNP)
EdD Mental Health Counseling: Online
EdD Mental Health & Human Development: Online
Doctor of Education (EDD) (Trimester)
Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts mandates that all matriculated full-time and three-quarter-time students attending an institution of higher education in this state who are not enrolled solely in short term courses or in an online program must be enrolled in a qualifying Student Health Plan that meets established minimum benefit guidelines.