Click here for reopening updates and to learn more about the vaccine requirement>>
University Health Plans (UHP) is the administrator of the AIC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
Waive / Enroll &
Online Insurance Card
The 2022-2023 Student Health Insurance Plan will open for Enrollment and Waivers on June 1, 2022.
AIC works with University Health Plans (UHP) to administer the Student Health Plan as required by the State of Massachusetts.
Based on your program of student and the number of credits you are registered in you will be considered as either Required or Not Required to Participate in the Student Health Insurance Program.
Required to Participate:
Students who are NOT Required To Participate:
Brief Overview of Comparable Coverage for Minimum Benefit Guidelines:
Minimum Health Insurance Plan Comparable Coverage Requirements
1. A network of doctors, specialists, and hospitals within 30 miles of the AIC campus in Springfield, MA (local area) effective from the beginning of the period of enrollment. All coverage requirements listed in items 3 through 12 must be available within the local area.
2. An insurance company whose home office is based in the United States and whose plan is filed and approved in the US, and compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
3. An unlimited plan maximum benefit. This means no maximum benefit per illness or injury per coverage period or per lifetime
4. Immediate Coverage for Pre-existing Conditions; no waiting period for services [In addition to looking at what’s covered, check the list of exclusions and limitations].
5. Emergency Services Coverage – no limits on coverage
6. Maternity Coverage and Coverage for Newborns - no limit on coverage
7. Mental Health/Substance Abuse, no limits outpatient or inpatient – no dollar limits or days of treatment limits
8. Pharmacy Benefits - no maximum dollar amount
9. Preventive Care and Primary Care Services This means coverage for routine physicals, physician visits exams, gynecological exams, coverage for preventive lab tests, preventive immunizations and vaccinations.
10. Surgical services – no maximum dollar amount
11. Hospitalization Benefits – no maximum dollar amount or limit to number of days
12. Ambulatory Patient Services – no maximum dollar amount
If you answered “NO” to any question (1-12) then your plan is not comparable
13. Do you have Massachusetts Health Safety Net, MassHealth Limited, or The Children’s Medical Security Program?
14. Do you have an out-of-state Medicaid Plan other than Connecticut Husky Health*? *Connecticut Husky Health is considered comparable coverage but some coverage items are only available in the state of Connecticut which is within the 30 mile required radius of AIC.
If you answered “YES” to questions (13 or 14) then your plan is not comparable
UHP Phone: 1-833-251-1746
UHP Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan Benefit/Policy: www.universityhealthplans.com/aic
AIC Phone: 413-205-3254
AIC Email: email@example.com
Period of Enrollment:
8/1/2022 to 7/31/2023
01/01/2023 to 07/31/2023
08/01/2022 to 12/31/2022
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)
University Health Plans
*Enrollment is on an ANNUAL basis.
The Spring rate is applied only to students who begin attendance in the Spring 2022 semester. The Fall only rate can be applied for on an exception basis for students who withdraw from the College as of the end of the Fall semester. See the FAQ’s for additional information.
Online Form to Enroll or Waive Opens On:
June 1, 2022
December 1, 2022
Due Date for Enrollments/Waivers:
August 1, 2022
January 9, 2023
Late Enrollment/ Late Waiver Period:
August 2, 2022 toSept. 25, 2022
January 10, 2023 toFebruary 19, 2023
Automatic Enrollment:All students who are required to participate in the student health insurance plan who have not either enrolled or waived will be automatically enrolled in the AIC student health insurance plan. Students may then submit a petition to request a waiver until the stated deadline.
Sept. 26, 2022
February 20, 2023
Petition to Waive Period:When this period has ended the student health insurance fee is set for the period and is non-refundable.
Sept. 26, 2022 toOctober 18, 2022
February 20, 2023 toMarch 12, 2023
Policy and Benefit Information: You may view the policy and benefit information at University Health Plans.
Qualifying Event: If you have a qualifying event, you may request to be added to the AIC Student Health Insurance Plan mid-year. Please contact University Health Plans for details.
Who is Required to Participate?
Note: Will be Charged the Premium and MUST Waive or Enroll
All Student Athletes
ALL Undergraduate Students registered in 9 or more credits
Exemption: RN to BSN students are NOT required to participate
Graduate Students in the following Majors:
Accounting & Taxation (MS)
Clinical Psychology (MA)
Education (MEd- Urban Pathways)
Exercise Science (MS)
General Psychology (MA/CERT)
Forensic Psychology (MS)
Occupational Therapy (MSOT)
Public Health (Master)
Doctoral Students in the Following Majors:
EdD Mental Health Counseling
EdD Educational Psychology
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
Note: International Students (F1 VISA) will automatically be enrolled and may not waive.
Who is NOT Required to Participate?
Note: Not Charged, Enrollment via Request Only
RN to BSN students
Undergraduate students who are registered for less than 9 credits as of the end of the add/drop period.
Business Administration (MBA/CERT)
Counseling Psychology (Trimester)
Cannabis Science and Commerce (MS)
Educational Psychology- Cohort Model (MAEP)
Family Nurse Practitioner (MS-FNP)
Doctor of Education (EDD) (Trimester)
Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts mandates that all matriculated full-time and three-quarter-time students attending an institution of higher education in this state who are not enrolled solely in short term courses or in an online program must be enrolled in a qualifying Student Health Plan that meets established minimum benefit guidelines.