- Refunds created by federal student aid are automatically issued within 14 days of the receipt of the aid or the start of the semester, whichever is later.
- All other refunds must be requested by the student (complete the Refund Request Form) and are subject to review by Student Accounts. Refunds are limited to the total credit balance for all semesters for which the student has been billed.
- In all cases refunds are issued in accordance with regulatory requirements and the choices made by the student on the Student Account Authorization form and the Refund Request Form. Refunds are only issued based on funds that have been applied (received) and not on awarded and not applied (unreceived/pending) funds or payments.
- Refund checks are mailed to the home address. If you wish to pick up your refund check in person at the Student Accounts Office, please complete the Refund Request Form.
Please complete and return the Authorization for Federal Student Aid Form if you wish to authorize AIC to use your FSA funds for miscellaneous charges or to hold credit balances on your account each year.
Federal Student Aid Funds:
Federal Funds are always considered to be applied to the account first (regardless of the order/date in which funds are received.) The funds are listed in the order in which they are considered to be applied.
- Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants
- TEACH Grants
- FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)
- PELL Grant
- Direct PLUS Loans (Parent or Graduate)
- Subsidized Direct Loans
- Unsubsidized Direct Loans
All other funding (AIC grant funds, State funds, alternative education loans, etc.) are considered to be applied after federal funding unless there is a policy or regulation that mandates the application of the funds.
Federal Student Aid Regulations:
- Educational Institutions can only apply Federal Student Aid (FSA) to allowable charges which include tuition, fees, book vouchers, residence life room, and meal plans (Institutional Charges). We need written permission from the student to apply FSA to miscellaneous charges., like parking fees and health services charges.
- FSA is considered to be applied to Institutional Charges prior to all other forms of payment (other scholarships, grants, loans or payments) regardless of the order in which the funds are received. Exceptions may apply if an award has stipulations that require it to be applied to specific costs.
- Educational Institutions may apply up to $200 of the FSA for the current year to allowable charges from a prior year.
- Educational Institutions must issue refunds due to FSA within 14 days of when the credit balance occurs or 14 days after the beginning of the semester (whichever is later) unless the Educational Institution has your written permission to hold the credit balance on your account.
- Educational Institutions are REQUIRED to to issue refund checks for credit balances due to FSA funds at the end of the loan period or year for which they were awarded even if students have requested credit balances to be held on the account.
Check Not Received
If you did not receive your check in a reasonable time period, please contact Student Accounts.
- AIC requires a 3 week period to have elapsed after a check was mailed, before it is considered to be lost.
- AIC will verify that the check was not cashed prior to re-issue
- AIC reserves the right to verify that your account balance is unchanged and may re-issue a refund for a lower amount or withhold a refund if additional charges or other changes have been processed on your account.
- The Student Accounts Office will co-ordinate the process with the student.